Andrew provides specialist legal advice and representation to WorkCover Queensland, as statutory insurer for government employers, in defence of common law damages claims for work-related injuries.
Andrew was appointed to act in the role of Assistant Crown Solicitor in November 2015. In addition to leading our substantial WorkCover Team, Andrew liaises with insured departments over damages claims against them. Prior to joining Crown Law in 2003, Andrew worked in the Common Law Division of WorkCover Queensland, managing damages claims for work-related injuries. Andrew brings to Crown Law’s WorkCover Team more than a decade of relevant experience.
Before this, Andrew practised in the private sector for some years. His private practice experience includes plaintiff personal injury, partnership disputes, criminal defence, wills and estates (including estate litigation), planning and environment appeals, debt recovery (including bankruptcy proceedings), family law and conveyancing.
During his lengthy career, Andrew has appeared as instructing solicitor or advocate in civil and criminal proceedings in the Supreme Court, District Court, Magistrates Court, Children’s Court and the Family Court.
Andrew’s experience in personal injury litigation includes:
- advising on liability, quantum and evidence in complex matters
- advising on the interpretation of relevant legislation
- preparing matters for trial in all State courts, instructing in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, and conducting his own advocacy in the lower courts
- negotiating with injured workers and their legal representatives.
Master/servant cases in which Andrew has been involved include:
- building site accidents
- unsafe manual handling practices
- workplace bullying and harassment
- stress caused by alleged overwork
- stress allegedly suffered in the course of disciplinary procedures
- psychological harm as a result of witnessing traumatic events
- injuries inflicted by the criminal acts of third parties
- work-related motor vehicle injuries
- asbestos-related injuries.
Andrew has litigated master/servant claims under the following statutory regimes:
- Workers’ Compensation Act 1916
- Workers’ Compensation Act 1990
- WorkCover Queensland Act 1996
- Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003.