Native title and cultural heritage specialist, John Heaney, joined Crown Law in 2009 after working in the private legal sector. Previous to his career as a lawyer John was a geologist/geophysicist working in mining and exploration projects throughout Australia and overseas. He has handled several complex matters relating to large-scale mining ventures and native title determinations.
As a Special Counsel in our Native Title and Resources Team, John regularly provides advice on a range of native title and resource issues and drafts Indigenous Land Use Agreements (ILUAs) and cultural heritage agreements in relation to major State infrastructure projects.
Native title and cultural heritage
- Carriage of native title determination applications in the Federal Court, for example the Djiru People and Jinibara People consent determinations.
- Negotiating and drafting numerous ILUAs and cultural heritage agreements for the delivery of government infrastructure.
- Negotiating and drafting necessary documents for the transfer of Mer and Badu Islands on trust to Torres Strait Islander Corporations.
- Advising generally on the application of the future acts regime.
- Advising on extinguishment issues and general tenure analysis.
- Advising on native title and cultural heritage issues for projects such as the Mornington Island Landfill and Sewerage Treatment Project, Gold Coast Rapid Transit Project, Toowoomba Range Second Crossing road project, public hospitals, school development and social housing initiatives.
Resources and energy
- Advising government departments on aspects of the Petroleum and Gas (Supply and Safety) Act 2004, Petroleum Act 1923, Mineral Resources Act 1989, Nature Conservation Act 1992, Forestry Act 1959 and the Greenhouse Gas Storage Act 2009.
- Drafting contracts required for the construction and sharing of coal handling, stockpiling and rail loading infrastructure on jointly owned land.
- Drafting and negotiating compensation agreements for mining and exploration activities, contracts for coal haulage and coal sale agreements.
- Drafting and negotiating various contracts for the secure transportation of precious minerals, and drilling for mine resources extension and regional exploration.
- Completing an acquisition of an international subsidiary of Intrepid Mines.
- Assisting with the drafting and negotiation of a heads of agreement for entry into a joint venture agreement including, including confidentiality agreements.
- Negotiating and drafting compensation agreements for mining and exploration.