Senior Principal Lawyer
Nikki has extensive experience in employment and anti-discrimination law. She was formerly a lawyer with Blake Dawson Waldron (Ashurst) and joined Crown Law in May 2007 after working as a Senior Review Officer with the Office of the Information Commissioner.
Nikki has also worked as a lecturer at Griffith University teaching Employment and Industrial Relations Law for the Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice and Employment and Industrial Relations Law for the Bachelor of Laws course.
Nikki’s experience includes:
- discrimination class action litigation with the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) and the Federal Court of Australia
- advising and acting in relation to discipline, termination of employment and reinstatement applications
- reinstatement and award classification hearings with the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission
- drafting and acting in relation to approval of industrial agreements
- advising Government departments and agencies on anti-discrimination law and discrimination complaints
- appearing at conciliation conferences in the in Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland (ADCQ), the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) and the AHRC, and negotiating detailed settlements.
- instructing solicitor in relation to anti-discrimination hearings in QCAT, the Federal Magistrates Court and the Federal Court of Australia
- drafting and advising on general and senior executive employment contracts and independent contractor agreements
- preparing training material and advice in relation to the Public Service Act 2008, including managing disciplinary processes under that Act
- providing diverse and complex advice for Government departments on a range of employment, industrial, sexual harassment, bullying issues
- providing legal and strategic advice to private sector clients on a wide range of employment law and industrial relations issues.
Papers and presentations
Nikki has developed and delivered training on numerous employment and workplace issues for both in house training and external seminars. Topics have included:
- discipline and termination of employment
- managing ill employees
- statutory interpretation
- health and safety obligations
- sexual harassment, bullying and anti-discrimination.