Timea joined Crown Law in 1997 and is currently working in the Commercial Dispute Resolution Team. Timea's work involves the day-to-day conduct of litigation in all State Courts, the Land Court, Land Appeal Court and Federal Magistrates Court.
- Drafting complex court documents including statements of claim, defences, applications and supporting affidavits, statements of facts and contentions and appeal court documents
- undertaking disclosure of documents involving consideration of complex issues regarding privilege
- advising on liability and quantum and the prospects of success of litigation
- negotiating settlements at settlement conferences
- preparing matters for alternative dispute resolution, including mediation
- drafting complex deeds of settlement
- preparing matters for trial and appeal hearings, including obtaining all necessary evidence, organising and proofing witnesses and preparing written outlines of submissions
- appearing as counsel in court applications, arguing on the question of costs when judgments delivered.
Timea has acted in commercial litigation matters on behalf of:
- The Department of Natural Resources and Mines in claims against the State of Queensland and Registrar of Titles for compensation under the Land Title Act 1994 in cases of alleged land title fraud
- the former Minister for Mines and Energy in claims for significant damages by holders of petroleum leases where the validity of the lessees’ tenure is in dispute
- the Department of Transport and Main Roads in claims against the Department for alleged breach of contract, nuisance, negligent misstatement and negligence resulting in property damage caused by road works and road infrastructure
- the Queensland Police Service claims for damages for alleged wrongful arrest, false imprisonment and malicious prosecution and claims for damage to wide load vehicles escorted by police, as a result of being involved in traffic accidents
- the Office of State Revenue in preference claims under ss 558FA-588FJ of the Corporations Act 2001(Cth)
- the Queensland Art Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art (QAGoMA) in a cy pres application under s 105 of the Trusts Act 1973 (Qld)
- Tourism Queensland in making an application in the Federal Magistrates Court for breach of trademark, copyright, Trade Practices Act 1974, Fair Trading Act 1989 and passing off.
Timea has undertaken debt recovery for various State Government departments, including the Office of State Revenue in the recovery of unpaid land tax and transfer duty. Timea's work involved:
- drafting claims and statements of claim
- obtaining default judgments
- drafting enforcement hearing documents and enforcement warrants.
- Grantham Floods Commission of Inquiry 2015.