Before joining Crown Law in 2015, Marita worked as a Senior Legal Officer for Cape York Land Council Aboriginal Corporation, specialising in native title and related work, including Aboriginal Land Act claims and transfers.
Marita assisted a number of Traditional Owner groups, including the Kaurareg People in the Torres Strait and the Eastern Kuku Yalanji People on the east coast of Cape York, to obtain recognition of their native title rights and interests and to reach agreements about how their traditional lands will be held and managed.
At Crown Law, Marita has worked with the Native Title Claims and Agreements Team on a number of native title claims and related Indigenous Land Use Agreements (ILUAs), including the Bar Barrum native title determinations in North Queensland.
- Advising clients on a range of issues in relation to native title claims and agreements, and negotiating on their behalf with other stakeholders
- drafting consent determinations and related ILUAs and other documents as part of Federal Court native title litigation
- providing advice and assistance to native title claim groups, from lodgement of claims to determinations of native title
- establishing and assisting corporate entities for land and native title holding purposes
- providing post-determination advice and assistance to native title holders
- preparing submissions and position papers on a range of legislative and policy issues
- appearing in the Federal Court and before Parliamentary Committees on behalf of clients
- advising clients on Right to Information applications.