Melinda started her career in private practice in London and later joined the Treasury Solicitor’s Department, UK Government, as a lawyer in the Employment Division, during which time she was seconded to the Cabinet Office as a legal adviser. Melinda joined Crown Law in 2010.
Melinda provides expert legal advice and representation in all areas of workplace law. Her legal work for Queensland government and agencies includes:
- defending claims before the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission and the Industrial Court, including unfair dismissals, adverse action and industrial disputes
- defending complex discrimination, sexual harassment and victimisation claims in both the Federal and State jurisdictions
- advising on complex disciplinary processes under the Public Service Act 2008 and other relevant legislation including drafting show cause documentation
- advising on and defending complaints made pursuant to the Human Rights Act 2019
- assisting clients to manage difficult employee behaviour, performance and health issues including, initiating ill health retirement processes and performance improvement processes
- assisting clients with employee complaints and grievance processes, bullying and harassment
- advising on employee entitlements, interpretation of Awards, Certified Agreements, appointments and senior officers’ contracts.